JACOB, Edward. ~ The history of the town and port of Faversham, in the county of Kent. By Edward Jacob, Esq. F.S.A. Illustrated with copper plates. London: for the author, by J. March; and sold by B. White, In Fleet-Street; L. Hawes, and Co. In Pater-Noster-Row; S. Patterson, In Essex-Street; and by S. Doorne, in Faversham, 1774.
8vo (220 × 135 mm), pp.[iv], vii-xii, , 222, complete (despite mispagination of preliminaries) with 15 engraved plates, plans and elevations (2 folding), engraved headpieces to dedication and p. 205. One old repair to a marginal tear, small insect hole to extreme upper forecorner of final 6 leaves. Uncut in the original pale blue publisher’s boards, buff paper spine with early printed label. Spine rubbed and lower joint cracking but secure. Presentation inscription to head of title “Wm LeGrand, a Gift of the Author’s 1788”, early critical notes to front pastedown together with later gift inscription. A very good, unsophisticated copy.
First edition, author’s presentation copy inscribed, in the year of Jacob’s death to William LeGrand (probably his brother-in-law). Jacob’s is the best of all the early Faversham histories. Born in Canterbury, Jacob settled in Faversham (living at 78 Preston Street) and practised as a surgeon. He was four times mayor of Faversham. Bibliotheca Cantiana 198-9.