(KENT – CANTERBURY). ~ [Deed, relating to land in Wincheap in the parish of Thanington. Canterbury, Feast of the Epiphany, 48 Edward II, 1375].
Manuscript in Latin on a single parchment sheet (105 × 260 mm), 13 lines, remains of red wax personal seal. Folded, slightly stained (but mostly legible), docketed on verso.
John Lowyn of Wincheap grants John Bertelot of Thanington several significant portions of land, including 4 acres of arable and a virgate of pastoral land in the parish of Thanington-beside-Canterbury, lying between the land of Sir John Waleys to the North-East, Sir William Septvanns on the West and Julian Rypieres to the South, plus another acre-and-a-half with appurtenances lying between the lands of John Waleys and a lane called Kersbroke, plus an acre in Sandepette beside Cockering. Made in the presence of at least seven witnesses including Thomas Gravene, Thomas Hulle and Thomas Alkham.
A significant fourteenth-century land transfer on the outskirts of Canterbury, with valuable topographical co-ordinates indicating adjacent landholdings. These include lands belonging to Sir William Septvan[n]s, later a Sheriff of Kent and a target of Wat Tyler and a band of rebels in 1380, before the Peasant’s Revolt of 1381. Tyler and his men marched Septvans to his manor at Milton (adjacent to Thanington) forcing him to hand over 50 rolls containing pleas of the county and crown, which they publicly burned in Canterbury.