(KENT). ~ [An amateur antiquary’s heraldic notebook. ?Kent, c. 1866-8].
Illustrated manuscript, 8vo (176 × 110 mm), c. 120 leaves of which 71 are completed, including 24 hand-coloured shields. Contemporary straight grained half morocco. Rubbed.
An illustrated notebook recording the heraldry of tombs in a variety of Kent churches (plus one in Sussex), including East and West Peckham, Pluckley, Guestling, Addington, Eastwell, Wrotham, Waldeshare and Boxley. Several tombs are described, together with transcriptions of their inscriptions and coats of arms. Some entries are a single page only, others are more extensive, including those for East Peckham and Eastwell. The latter, St Mary’s Eastwell, with a diagram and description of tombs, is particularly interesting as the church was largely demolished in the 1950s and the contents transferred to the care of Victoria and Albert Museum.